The Fiona Sweater

Posted by jdg | Wednesday, November 28, 2012 | 1 comments »

[this is Wood]


One of the kids' favorite movies is John Sayles's 1994 Irish fairy tale The Secret of Roan Inish. One thing in the movie that really caught my eye now that I'm a knitter was the sweaters that the main character (Fiona Keneally) wears in nearly every scene. They're pretty great, and this one in particular inspired me to knit a light, layering sweater perfect for seasonal transitions (or an Irish summer).


I even had Jim scouring Ravelry for lightweight cardigan patterns that would work.
 

Eventually I settled on modifying this pattern for a child by simply using fingering weight yarn and following the instructions for a larger size. I used Madelintosh sock yarn, which I really love.

This sweater quickly became one of her favorites and she has worn it nearly every day this fall, and still layers it until her coat well into November. She wears it unbuttoned, just like Fiona.

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // June 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM  

    I love this film too.
    Gorgeous cardy, gorgeous colour.