Chain Mail Sweater

Posted by Wood | Thursday, September 06, 2012 | 0 comments »

As soon as I saw the pattern for the Easy Pullover for Babies, Toddlers and Kids on the Purl Bee website, I wanted to make it right away. The loose fit, large neck opening, and lightweight yarn were perfect for my son, who like a lot of kids  complains about anything tight or itchy or too warm. The pattern was posted in January, while I was already working on Gram's birthday sweater, and I seriously contemplated ripping the entire thing out and starting the easy pullover. The pattern is perfect for preschool boys, and it is just such a handsome little sweater
 
 
At the time, I forged ahead and finished the birthday sweater, but I never stopped thinking about the pullover pattern. When I came across an absolutely perfect shade of Madeline Tosh sock yarn, I knew that it would make a lovely pullover. The yarn was a slightly variegated gun metal gray -- a perfect combination of beautiful and boyish. I always show all of my new yarn to Jim as soon as I get home from the yarn store, and 99% of the time he shrugs and gives me a completely underwhelming response. HOW CAN HE NOT CARE ABOUT HOW BEAUTIFUL THIS YARN IS? But when I showed him the gray yarn, he actually responded. And as I started to make the sweater, he pointed out that it looked like chain mail. I think he was simply plotting to encourage our son to wear the sweater under one of his many warrior costumes.
 
 
I finished the sweater during the height of summer, so it hasn't gotten much wear until now and I am the one itching for him to wear it. There were a few chilly campfires on the beach up north this summer, and the sweater made its debut then. It might be my favorite project yet.
 
 
(Luckily, I have an extra skein and a half of this yarn leftover. I think I will use it to make a chain-mail head piece for Gram. My costume-making skills have become nearly obsolete by my husband's ever-expanding leather and woodworking skills, but maybe I still have something to contribute to go along with all of the swords and armor.)





Photo
Previous Project: Wooden Swords

0 comments